Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter…

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Tissue Time!

So I found these instructions for making tissue poms. I loved the look but I wanted to create the poms as more permanent decoration for the bedroom. I knew that to do it well enough to keep around I would need practice. The apartment has been looking super bare now that the Christmas decorations have been put away and since Valentine's Day is coming up, I practiced with shades of pink. My first attempt was...well, my first attempt.
There were several sites with instructions and advice. Cutting the tissue paper ends in a rounded way made it seem more childish. All the sites warned that the more tissue layers the better.

For this first one, I used only eight sheets, the suggested amount. I didn't have any wire so I improvised with twist ties. Initially, I used thread and tape to attach it to the ceiling but it kept falling down, creeping me out.

My second attempt was much better and I think with a few more tissue layers, I'll have this pom thing down.
I used 12 sheets and it gave the pom a much fuller look. This time I cut the ends into points which made it seem much less like a craft project and more like decor. To get the ends exact with all of the layers, I worked on smaller groupings than trying to cut all the ends together.
Neither poms would stay attached to the ceiling with thread and tape so I moved them into the living room doorways and tied yarn to the wires. Matching the yarn to the trim, I hooked the poms onto nails above the doorways for some holiday decorations.
Yes, that would be our coaxial cord coming from the other room. Sadly, the living room isn't cable equipped and its fallen off the priority list. But I digress!




The poms are lookin' good! Now I'll be picking out colors for another couple poms for the bedroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment